Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Valley of the Shadow of Death

Last Thanksgiving (November 2007), Diann's father died. Being the first of our parents to pass away, we have traveled through lots of emotions and lots of questions. As a pastor, I sit by many beds and pray with lots of people who are facing "the valley of the shadow of death."

This comes from Psalm 23...
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
3He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. ...

This summer Tony Snow passed away on July 12, 2008. I discovered this article that he wrote about one year ago. Please take the time to read about facing death through the eyes of a man experiencing it. >> Tony Snow ARTICLE

I would love to read your comments on this.

3 comments:

Allison Hulett said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing. God certainly does like to "go off-road", but I love it when he says that there's "nothing wilder than a life of humble virtue" and love will change everything. What an amazing man to have such a beautiful perspective in the face of death.

Brian and Whitney said...

Larry, thanks for taking the time to write about this incredibly real life issue that you guys are walking through. May God continue to richly comfort you in this journey and provide you with continued sustenance as you continue to care for Dian's mom.

Vince said...

I wish I had payed more attention to Mr. Snow. He sounds like a solid, and humble man from this article. They way he looks at life makes me envious I can't seem to look at life like that. Thanks for sharing the article Larry.