Saturday, July 12, 2008

Journey with John 1.1

In a Thursday morning men's group that just started a few weeks ago... we are reading and observing what John wrote in his account of Jesus' life. John was Jesus' closest follower... the one we see sitting, walking and talking with Jesus in the most personal way.

Each week, I want to capture some of the thoughts and insights and applications that come from our group. Hope this helps you as it does me.

Some catch up notes...
John the "washer" (Baptizer) (not the writer of the book of John-- John the disciple of Jesus is the writer) is telling people to get ready for a new day... to make themselves ready for The Lord... to demonstrate their humility and their turning around in a new direction, he asked them to be "washed"... he stands in the river and "washes" each person... dipping them into the water. This was not the same, but similar to the purification ritual practiced at the temple.

People were lined up to be washed... and Jesus shows up. He comes to John to be washed also. John does not feel worthy to wash Jesus... but Jesus is washed to validate the work John is doing.
ACTION Q: Am I "washed" clean and ready to follow Christ today and each new day? I can be in two ways...
FIRST... I can physically be baptized (washed) to demonstrate to friends and family that I am a follower of Jesus. Many youth and adults get baptized when they understand what it means... even if as a baby their parents had them baptized. This spiritual marker of "washing," as an adult can be such a memorable event in the spiritual journey. Talk with someone about your baptism (washing).
SECOND... I can be spiritually washed by simply talking with God and agreeing with him about any mistake or wrong that I have done or even thought... "when we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness..." (1 John 1:9)
Each morning or any other spot in the day... I whisper to God... "I was wrong to say or think that... wash me clean in your forgiveness... thank you that you love me so much."

Only with this attitude am I ready for God's work in and through me.

So much more to discover in this journey with John...

I welcome your comments, insights and thoughts.

No comments: